Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 31, 2011 Miscellanea

I continue to slog through Atlas Shrugged, barely able at this point to resist the urge to feed it, page by page, to my dog - that it might be reborn in its rightful form. I will expound on those thoughts when I finish these last 300 pages, but I had a minor revelation while reading yesterday: Atlas Shrugged is no more than a well-written Left Behind for the evangelical-capitalist set. It is a hagiography for Rand's imagined ideal persons and a snuff story about those she deems unworthy of salvation. I began with an open mind, hoping that it might expand my mind. I was prepared to have a better understanding of the philosophical underpinnings of conservative-libertarian ideology. Alas, I do, but not in the way I had hoped.

More on that at a later date. For now, some gloriousness from Paul Simon:

No comments:

Post a Comment